turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If I'm using cointracking.info for cryptocurrency transactions and get the TurboTax import, where do I put that in TurboTax?

I used <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.Form8949.com">www.Form8949.com</a> in conjunction with CoinTracking and TurboTax.
gvszot

If I'm using cointracking.info for cryptocurrency transactions and get the TurboTax import, where do I put that in TurboTax?

If you have the CD/Desktop version of Turbo tax you can import the info from Cointraking.info as a TXF file.  If you already started your turbo tax online version, you can change to the desktop version. (check their website). <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw... import the work you have done so far in the online version you will need to upload that work to Turbo Desktop, so you don't have to reenter all you personal info and everything else.     
  When I downloaded the "turbotax Download" from cointracking.info, it was NOT in .TXF format, it was HTM whic will not upload to turbotax.   So I just added .TXF to the end of the file (rename ), then turbo tax desktop allowed me to upload it.   All the data was captured and represented correctly in Turbo tax desktop.

The <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.Form8949.com">www.Form8949.com</a> ($10) with cointracking and online turbotax also worked for me.

@michal.moskal  I imported the TXF file that I downloaded from cointracking.info - however when I view the form it's classifying it as a 1099-B (unidentified financial institution) it doesn't auto recognize as Form 8949. Furthermore, the downloaded file from cointracking.info doesn't include your transacation fees which is a large number that I need to deduct from my capital gains. How did you add the tx fees?

If you're using TurbotTax Online, using <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.Form8949.com">www.Form8949.com</a> is a great way to get your info into the system without entering it manually line by line. It will cost you a little bit more money, but it's well worth the time I saved.
baontq

If you already paid for online version, here is what you can do to import cointracking txf file:

- From turbotax online, export tax2017 file and save to your computer

- Download Turbotax Amend software and install it

- From the Amend software, open the tax file and follow the top answer to import cointracking txf file.

- Print out and mail your return b/c can't e-file :(

Hope this help.

pdavidow

I am going crazy. I am using CoinTracking (not CoinTracker), and basically have no idea what to do with TurboTax Online FreeFile.  It looks like I need to buy the downloadable deluxe version of TurboTax.

What about using form 8949 with TurboTax Online FreeFile?

Can I get an official response please?

I was able to figure this out last night on the web version. I selected “Coinbase” even though I use CoinTracking. It then asked for a csv file. I tried uploading the csv file that I pulled straight from CoinTracking. TurboTax gave me an error which said something like, “make sure you have these column headers.........”

So I opened the csv file in Excel, made sure the column headers matched what the error message said, saved, uploaded it again, and it worked!

their is no option their to import cryptocurrency. I am using turbotax premier 2019 download software

I downloaded the desktop version of TT premier and I exported by cointracking file, but I can't seem to find a place on the TT software to upload it. Any advice?

hi, were you able to put all 1400 transactions in the software version for 2018 taxes ? I am asking since i am looking to download the 2018 version( i am filing late taxes) and looking to import the file from cointracker.

I contacted CoinTracking support about this, and they have a way for you to upload your tax report in the TurboTax online version.

Please do the following:

1. Open your tax report generated in CoinTracking.info

2. On the capital gains report, click on the "TurboTax" Button. Then the following page will open:

image.png

3. Add now add "&tt_online" at the end of the URL in your browser. For example (don't use this link - yours will be different:( https://cointracking.info/tax/tax_details/TurboTax.php?tax=14&tt_online 

4. On this page, you will find the correct files you need for uploading them into your TurboTax online version.

image.png

They format it to fit into the Robinhood format that TurboTax allows, but as noted in the instructions don't worry, you will still be able to upload transactions from all other exchanges as well.

This is a workaround that CoinTracking.info has been able to provide thankfully. All because of TurboTax not listening to users to allow .txf uploads in the online version. Thanks CoinTracking.

I am trying to import a CSV file from CoinTracker. 

I am not getting to the point where TT asks me "Did you sell any...?". I already have another 1099-B entered so perhaps I already answered that. 

Where and how (in Premier) do I import the CSV???

AmyC
Expert Alumni

In the black bar at the top, go to FILE, select Import. Choose broker or another software.

If you choose another software, you can choose the .txf file to import.

When done- Select Start next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, other. Additionally, if you have a foreign wallet, that is considered a foreign asset and may require filing Form 8938. See About Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets,

Select an entry option:

1. Enter the total short term on one line and total long term on the next line. Mail in a copy of your 1099-B. Very easy and the program gives you the instructions.

2. You may be able to convert your .csv file to a .txf file and upload it into TurboTax Desktop version.

Follow these steps outlined by JoeFM here

• Create a .csv file with all transactions using the format shown at Easytxf.
  • Used Easytxf to convert the .csv file into .txf file.
  • Import .txf file into Turbotax Desktop:  File / Import / From Accounting Software / Other Financial Software (TXF) file /  Continue / Choose a File to Import / Import now.
  • A 1099-B with all Crypto transactions is now created.   This entry can now be edited to include the account details.  Each transaction can be edited as well.

3 .You can make your own csv file. Manually change your columns to 5 columns in this order:

1. Purchase date
  2. Date sold
  3. Proceeds
  4. Cost basis
  5. Currency name

Then you can upload the document and select 1099-B as the type. 

@johnkemmerer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mjpablo23

thanks, this worked for me in the web version

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies