Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I lived abroad, do I still put my state of residence as Virginia, where I hold a driver's license and passport?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I lived abroad, do I still put my state of residence as Virginia, where I hold a driver's license and passport?

TomD8
Level 15

In the Personal Info section of TT, your State of Residence is the state or country where your domicile (your main, primary home) was located as of the end of the tax year.

If your domicile was in a foreign country, scroll to the bottom of the State of Residence drop-down window and choose "Foreign or U.S. Possession".

Generally, if you kept your home in the U.S. and lived temporarily in another country (to attend school, for example), your State of Residence would still be your U.S. state.  But if you abandoned your U.S. home and literally moved to another country with the intent of making it your home, that new country would be your "State of Residence". 

If you're active duty military and you're stationed abroad on PCS orders, your State of Residence is your military SLR (State of Legal Residence).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies