Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live in KY and work in OH and have two W2s, but one only has 18,19, & 20, what do I do with the second one since its local tax in cincinnati?

My issue is that the local tax paid on the second W2 is to cincinnati.  If i put that in a single W2 in turbo tax i'll have a state of KY that i pay taxes to but a city in Ohio that I pay local tax to. Is this an issue?

Why does this increase both my federal and state returns?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If I live in KY and work in OH and have two W2s, but one only has 18,19, & 20, what do I do with the second one since its local tax in cincinnati?

It is not an issue, in fact that's exactly how the entry should be completed.  Even though one employer sends multiple W2 copies to accommodate the local, and sometimes state withholding if there is more than one state, you enter it as though it is one W2.  

In your case the second W2 has only local information on it, so when you review your W2 entry make sure you only entered one W2 and include the local tax from your 2nd W2 on the one W2 entry in TurboTax.

Kentucky (KY) and Ohio (OH) have a reciprocal agreement which means you file all of your income on your resident state return. If sounds like your employer withheld only KY state tax in which case nothing needs to be completed for OH.

The local tax would have no bearing on your federal or state return results.  Double check your W2 entries (click the image attached to enlarge and view).  Delete a second W2 if you entered one.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

It is not an issue, in fact that's exactly how the entry should be completed.  Even though one employer sends multiple W2 copies to accommodate the local, and sometimes state withholding if there is more than one state, you enter it as though it is one W2.  

In your case the second W2 has only local information on it, so when you review your W2 entry make sure you only entered one W2 and include the local tax from your 2nd W2 on the one W2 entry in TurboTax.

Kentucky (KY) and Ohio (OH) have a reciprocal agreement which means you file all of your income on your resident state return. If sounds like your employer withheld only KY state tax in which case nothing needs to be completed for OH.

The local tax would have no bearing on your federal or state return results.  Double check your W2 entries (click the image attached to enlarge and view).  Delete a second W2 if you entered one.

Thank you so much!!  

Now after years of not doing this am I able to go back and claim that local tax on both federal and state returns from years prior?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies