Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a 1099G that says "Calendar Year 2021" at the top, but Box 3 says "Refund is for Tax Year 2020", do I need to apply it to my 2021 tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I have a 1099G that says "Calendar Year 2021" at the top, but Box 3 says "Refund is for Tax Year 2020", do I need to apply it to my 2021 tax return?

Yes, you enter it in your 2021 tax return. You report a state or local income tax refund in the year that you receive the refund, no matter what year it is for.

when filing it is your job to determine the taxable amount of prior year state refunds and enter the taxable amount not the 1099-G amount.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When you enter your 1099-G for a state tax refund in TurboTax, you must enter the full refund amount shown on the 1099-G. TurboTax will then ask you questions to allow it to calculate how much, if any, of the refund is taxable. TurboTax calculates the taxable amount for you.

"no matter what year it is for."

I meant to say, state refunds for years before last year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies