Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I got divorced October 2023, do I have to report alimony payments I receive?

My ex husband pays the mortgage in lieu of alimony for now. I was told that I didn’t have to report the alimony on my taxes but my ex is asking for my social security number because he is reporting the alimony he is paying.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your ex doesn’t need your social security number because he can’t deduct divorce payments and you don’t have to pay taxes on that income. The law went into effect January, 2019. 

View solution in original post

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Since the divorce decree ended in 2023, there is no alimony to report and you do not need to give out your social security number (SSN) for your ex husband's tax return.

• Filing Taxes after Divorce  (For more information)
    • The taxation of alimony on federal tax returns recently changed because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA). Today, alimony or separate maintenance payments relating to any divorce or separation agreements dated January 1, 2019 or later are not tax-deductible by the person paying the alimony. The person receiving the alimony does not have to report the alimony received as taxable income.
  • @michaelann8-iclo 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your ex doesn’t need your social security number because he can’t deduct divorce payments and you don’t have to pay taxes on that income. The law went into effect January, 2019. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Since the divorce decree ended in 2023, there is no alimony to report and you do not need to give out your social security number (SSN) for your ex husband's tax return.

• Filing Taxes after Divorce  (For more information)
    • The taxation of alimony on federal tax returns recently changed because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA). Today, alimony or separate maintenance payments relating to any divorce or separation agreements dated January 1, 2019 or later are not tax-deductible by the person paying the alimony. The person receiving the alimony does not have to report the alimony received as taxable income.
  • @michaelann8-iclo 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies