squeaky2013

IF I filed N.C. federal tax extension for 2018. Do I need to file a state extension or does the state piggyback off the federal extension?

retiree

Two different Taxing agencies

therefore two different extensions required.
KatrinaB

Yes, you need to file a state extension.  Filing an extension gives you until October 15 to file your NC return. You can either fill out Form D-410 and mail it in, or submit an online extension through their eServices site. If you owe taxes, submit payment by April 15 to avoid penalties, either by including a check and Form D-400V with your mailed Form D-410 or by providing payment with your online extension.