Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I claim my dividends, capital gains and annual cash pay out from a separate inheritance investment on our joint tax return, am I in any way commingling my inheritance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I claim my dividends, capital gains and annual cash pay out from a separate inheritance investment on our joint tax return, am I in any way commingling my inheritance?

"...am I in any way commingling my inheritance?"

Now that is actually a legal question; you might want to seek an in-person consultation with an attorney and/or financial advisor.

Generally, though, for property treated as separate property to be commingled and subsequently treated as marital or community property, the property would have to be deposited into some sort of joint account or the other spouse be named on the account, title, deed, or other indicia of ownership.

Again, check with an attorney in your state, particularly if you reside in a community property state.

Understood. Will ask my lawyer. I just thought, because my wife has been contributing to the payment of taxable gains  and cash payouts on these investments, here in Nebraska, she may have claims to this inheritance should there be a divorce. Again, will ask a lawyer. Thanks for responding to my question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies