Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Liz2

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210". Is this a TurboTax issue?

Hey, guys.

I was having this problem, and I was able to make a simple correction and get my return accepted. Although the error message is a little confusing, it does explain how to solve the problem, so I followed those instructions. Here's what I did (note that I'm on the macOS version of TurboTax—I don't know if these instructions will work for the online version):

1. Click Forms in the upper-left corner.
  2. Click Form 2210.
  3. In Part II, on the line for Box B, click Explain. (Note: Box A was checked on my form, and "85% Waiver" appeared on the line for Box A. I didn't change anything here, and I did not try to check Box B.)
  4. On the Explanation Statement, fill in an explanation. I just put "85% Waiver," since that was what appeared on the line for Box A.
  5. Click Easy Step in the upper-left corner, and resubmit your return.

About 15 minutes after I did this, I received confirmation from TurboTax that my federal return had been accepted. I'm still waiting to hear on the state, but I don't anticipate any problem.

Hope this helps!

p090794
Returning Member

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210". Is this a TurboTax issue?

To fix my return after the first rejection, I went to Forms View and I clicked  on the QuickZoom to Waiver Explanation Statement beside Part II Box B. Part II Box A was checked, not Box B and no other boxes were checked in Part II. I wrote in the Waiver Explanation Statement “I qualify for the 85% Waiver Relief” because the TurboTax form 2210 said I did qualify. Then I e-Filed again with this correction.

It was again rejected!
Then to try another fix, I checked Box C at the top of Form 2210 beside the line that says “Check to have the IRS figure the penalty and send a bill if penalty due”. I also checked the next Box, Box D, beside the line that says “Check to use Part IV, Regular Method ...” because I noticed that TurboTax had already completed the Regular Method.
After making these completions I e-Filed once more. After 40 minutes I was notified that my Federal e-Filed return was accepted   About 2 hours later my State e-Filed return was accepted.
I am glad this worked for whatever reason because I was not happy being advised to file by snail mail.
Sincerely,
Ron K

I have a working workaround for the  "85% Waiver" bug.

This is either a turbo tax bug or an IRS bug.  The error that returns is saying that you need an explanation page along with the 2210, so let's give it one.

Open the 2210 form, press any "Explain" button on the form, this creates the explanation form for the 2210.  Enter the description "85% Waiver".

Resubmit and it should be fine.

This seems to be an IRS system bug because the form instructions CLEARLY say all you need to submit is the first page of the 2210, but the rejection thinks an explanation page is required.

pelkman

TT needs to fix this! I am trying to uncheck box A which is incorrectly checked automatically by TT. It will not let me uncheck the box and it will not let me delete the form.  I’m not required to submit this form as I paid over 90% of my taxes. This is a bug that you need to fix! Quit trying to pass the buck!

My return was accepted after phone help had me change the 2017 amount to 0. Hope it works for others and they can submit without problem. They were well versed with the problem and I have requested a refund, but am waiting a call back from a supervisor.

I just set my last year tax to zero in the underpayment section and then it told me I didn't owe an underpayment penalty. I paid atleast 85% of my tax by the end of the year so the IRS can figure it our for me as 2210 is not required. My returns were accepted without issue!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies