lonneyhead

I worked out of country in 2019 from Jan1-June30 in Saudi Arabia. During the last 6 months of 2019, I spent approx 71 days working in Poland? How do I account for this?

None - please see my previous question and answer from you colleague.  I am just trying to minimize my exposure to the last six months of 2019 since I was out of the country for 40 percent of that time in addition to 100% of the first 6 months.  Therefore, I was out of the country for 70% of the year.

pk

Cannot see your earlier post on the subject.

Assuming you are US citizen/resident( Green Card), for you to exclude foreign earned income, you need to qualify under physical presence test ( a continuous 12  month period  in which you were away for at least 330 days ).   Your post does not meet that requirement.

The second path is to avoid double taxation by claiming tax credit/deduction for foreign taxes paid. As I understand Saudi Arabia has no income tax.  There is also no US-Saudi Arabia tax treaty

So you have to pay US taxes on this  foreign earnings.

pk

lonneyhead

Hi, so I worked out of the country from April 2016 trough June 2019.  Qualified for the exclusion for 2018 and have been out of the country for the entire duration.  Then, finished my job and moved onto another one which included 71 additional days in Poland from July 1-Dec31.
pk

So just to be sure I understand, you a US citizen/Resident, left USA in April 2016 ( exact date would be helpful ), qualified for Physical presence Test in 2017, stayed in first country ( Saudi Arabia ) till June 2018 and then moved to a second  country (Poland ) and stayed there till Dec 2018..
If that is the scenario, what is issue --- you should be able to claim foreign earned income exclusion for all the time.
Please tell what I am I missing.