Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jareflier

I won money while gambling in Aruba. I was not issued any type of documentation. I had the winnings wired to my bank in the US. Is this money taxable?

My bank, a tax accountant and a retired IRS attorney all  believe I do not have a tax obligation in the US for this money, but that does not seem right.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I won money while gambling in Aruba. I was not issued any type of documentation. I had the winnings wired to my bank in the US. Is this money taxable?

As a U.S. citizen/resident, you are taxed on a worldwide income, income from sources outside of the U.S. is reported.  In terms of the gambling winnings, It makes no difference where you win, within or outside the United States, gambling winning must be included on your tax return.

Per IRS: "Foreign income. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you must report income from sources outside the United States (foreign income) on your tax return unless it is exempt by U.S. law". Gambling winnings are not exempt unfortunately. 

To enter gambling winning:

1. Federal Taxes (Personal Tab in Home & Business)

2. Wages & Income (Personal Income in Home & Business)

3. Scroll down to Less Common Income

4. Select Gambling Winnings - select yes to do Did you win money or prizes from gambling or lotteries, select skip W2-G (since you don't have one), enter your gambling winnings; you will be asked about your gambling losses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies