Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I wish to change my filing status from filing jointly to filing separate. My wife lives in the Philippines and is a us citizen. Can I change my filing statue

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I wish to change my filing status from filing jointly to filing separate. My wife lives in the Philippines and is a us citizen. Can I change my filing statue

If you file a tax return as married filing jointly, you are only allowed to change to married filing separate status up to the filing deadline (April 15, or October 15 if you have an extension).   If you already filed for 2023 and don't have an extension, it is too late to change.  (This has nothing to do with your international status, it's the same rule for everyone.)

If you want to file separately for 2024, that's fine.  Filing a joint return once does not commit you to filing jointly forever. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I'm paging Champ @pk. Please check back later.

Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you file a tax return as married filing jointly, you are only allowed to change to married filing separate status up to the filing deadline (April 15, or October 15 if you have an extension).   If you already filed for 2023 and don't have an extension, it is too late to change.  (This has nothing to do with your international status, it's the same rule for everyone.)

If you want to file separately for 2024, that's fine.  Filing a joint return once does not commit you to filing jointly forever. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies