tmarchant

I will be filing married filing jointly, but 2016 my husband passed away suddenly. When it comes to the signatures at the end, will it take it with just mine?

MichaelMc

First, allow me to offer my condolences on your loss.

The following guidance is taken from IRS Pub. 559 Survivors, Executors, and Administrators:

"Signature. If a personal representative has been appointed, that person must sign the return. If it is a joint return, the surviving spouse must also sign it. If no personal representative has been appointed, the surviving spouse (on a joint return) signs the return and writes in the signature area “Filing as surviving spouse.” If no personal representative has been appointed and if there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as “personal representative.” [Emphasis added.]

MichaelMc