Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was STD last year for 4 months and only received my work W2 with what I made there and no payment info from STD. My payments were pretaxed. Do I file with what I have?

I recieved 4 months of STD but when I received my W2 this year it had what I earned at work but did not include my STD income. I asked my employer and they said the payments were pre-taxed. My STD insurance company said they dont send out tax documents. So do I file with what I have ( 1 W2 from work) or am I missing something?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I was STD last year for 4 months and only received my work W2 with what I made there and no payment info from STD. My payments were pretaxed. Do I file with what I have?

Any reason your STD insurance company states they don't send out tax documents?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

They said it was pre-taxed and that they dont send out tax forms. Only my company does. My company told me they dont add the payments because it was already pre-taxed ...Im lost
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  It sounds like the way the company is explaining it to you is almost backwards.  I think what they mean to say is that the premiums are paid with AFTER-TAX dollars, in other words, that the premiums do not reduce your taxable income.  If this is the case, then your STD payments are not taxable at all.  The insurance company could opt to send you a W-2, but this would only report the amount you were paid in box 12 with a code of J, and no other information.  This type of W-2 cannot be entered into TurboTax; it is like not receiving a W-2 at all.

When I use the phrase "pre-tax", I refer to premiums that do reduce your taxable income.  When this is the case, benefits you receive are taxable.  This is the case, for example, if the company is paying the benefit in your behalf.  But if you are paying for the premiums, you are probably doing so "after-tax": you have already been taxed on the income you use to pay for the premiums.

Hopefully, this is what is happening.  You can verify with your payroll to be certain.  But if that is correct information, then you do only report what is shown on your W-2.  Your STD is nontaxable and nonreportable income on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies