turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eacook1

I was incorrectly claimed on a tax form, and your phone service is ridiculously unhelpful.

I was claimed as a dependent incorrectly. I need that removed. Your phone service will not let me select an option, and the voice command is quite frankly very rude.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was incorrectly claimed on a tax form, and your phone service is ridiculously unhelpful.

Since you have been claimed as a dependent by someone, your only option is to prepare your return, claiming yourself, which you will then need to print and file by mail.  The IRS will then examine both returns and determine who had the right to claim you (yourself or the other person.)  Yours (or their) tax return would be adjusted accordingly.

You don’t say who claimed you as a dependent and have included no details as to your age, whether or not you are a full-time student, etc.

Just to be forewarned, if you are a full-time student and your parents are the ones who claimed you, the burden of proof is on you to prove that you provided more than half of your own support.

Please take a look at the information below – it contains excellent information on who can be claimed as a dependent.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5000657  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since you have been claimed as a dependent by someone, your only option is to prepare your return, claiming yourself, which you will then need to print and file by mail.  The IRS will then examine both returns and determine who had the right to claim you (yourself or the other person.)  Yours (or their) tax return would be adjusted accordingly.

You don’t say who claimed you as a dependent and have included no details as to your age, whether or not you are a full-time student, etc.

Just to be forewarned, if you are a full-time student and your parents are the ones who claimed you, the burden of proof is on you to prove that you provided more than half of your own support.

Please take a look at the information below – it contains excellent information on who can be claimed as a dependent.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5000657  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies