Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was covered under my mother's insurance for the first quarter of 2021 but was otherwise completely independent, how do I reconcile my 1095-A when I'm listed under hers?

My mother is the single head of household for me and my siblings. I lived with them for the first month of 2021 and am filing my return independently because our finances have been two separate entities. My insurance was one of the only things left in her name and she removed me in March. She bought via Marketplace and I switched to Medicaid and employer-provided insurance after. When filing I did not have a 1095-A to file, as it was not my household, but my return was rejected due to Marketplace premium tax reconciliation and needing form 8962 to do so. Do I have to file dependently because of this? Or how would I go about adding this proof of coverage when it's not my information? If I file dependently, I lose my return AND my added income will throw her household into the next tax bracket, dropping coverage for last year. This is very confusing for the both of us so any answers will help!!!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I was covered under my mother's insurance for the first quarter of 2021 but was otherwise completely independent, how do I reconcile my 1095-A when I'm listed under hers?

• If your parents did NOT tell the Healthcare Marketplace (usually when they applied for health insurance) that you were not going to be their dependent, you will NOT receive a 1095-A of your own.  
    • You will need to get a copy of your parents' 1095-A and enter it on your tax return.  On the screen after entering the 1095-A, you will check the box indicating that the policy was shared by somebody that is not on your tax return.  It will then prompt you with further questions to determine how much of it is "allocated" to you (even if it is 0%). Your parents would follow this same procedure.
    • If there was Advance credit received (column C of the 1095-A), your parents have the option to claim 100% of the 1095-A on their tax return, or to "allocate" part (or all) of it to you.  If you both agree, the allocation can be anywhere from 0% to 100%.  If you can not agree and Advance credit was received (column C on the 1095-A), then it is divided by the number of people on the insurance policy.  For example, if the insurance policy covers 4 people, each person is allocated 25%.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

• If your parents did NOT tell the Healthcare Marketplace (usually when they applied for health insurance) that you were not going to be their dependent, you will NOT receive a 1095-A of your own.  
    • You will need to get a copy of your parents' 1095-A and enter it on your tax return.  On the screen after entering the 1095-A, you will check the box indicating that the policy was shared by somebody that is not on your tax return.  It will then prompt you with further questions to determine how much of it is "allocated" to you (even if it is 0%). Your parents would follow this same procedure.
    • If there was Advance credit received (column C of the 1095-A), your parents have the option to claim 100% of the 1095-A on their tax return, or to "allocate" part (or all) of it to you.  If you both agree, the allocation can be anywhere from 0% to 100%.  If you can not agree and Advance credit was received (column C on the 1095-A), then it is divided by the number of people on the insurance policy.  For example, if the insurance policy covers 4 people, each person is allocated 25%.
JP48
Level 1

Your mother takes care of the first 3 months. You have insurance for the next of 9 months.  You can simply state on the health care area that you had coverage for all 12 months.  Your mom will show that 1095 A includes you for 3 months but not after that. 

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you are filing your own return, but you were on your mom's 1095-A policy, you will need to enter her 1095-A info in your return.

Your mom indicates on her return that she 'shared a policy with someone not on her return' and gives your name and SSN.  She can allocate 100% to herself and 0% to you, or you can split it however you both agree. 

Click this link for more info on Shared 1095-A Policy. 

Thank you so much! This should take care of it!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies