Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was covered by a healthcare.gov plan for January and February of 2018, but then purchased my own insurance for the rest of the year. How do I show that on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I was covered by a healthcare.gov plan for January and February of 2018, but then purchased my own insurance for the rest of the year. How do I show that on my taxes?

On rhe first page of the Healthcare section, indicate the number of months you were covered by insurance, any insurance. On the next page, say that yes, you had Marketplace insurance. On the next screen, enter your 1095-A. Then, you are done.

For 2019 returns

Recommended Answer

Are you asking how to enter a 1095-A while you are preparing a return?   If so, here are two ways to do it.  Choose which method you like.

• With your return open, click at the top on the SEARCH tab.
  • A Search box should open.  In the search line enter 1095-A without quotes.   Ignore any dropdown results and instead click the blue magnifying glass icon on that same line.
  • You should then see a Jump to 1095-A link.  Click that.

Or here's an alternate way to get to the Form 1095-A interview:

• With your return open, go to the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose the TOPIC SEARCH button.
  • A search window will open.  In the search line enter 1095-A without quotes.
  • Select (highlight) 1095-A in the results list and click GO.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

On rhe first page of the Healthcare section, indicate the number of months you were covered by insurance, any insurance. On the next page, say that yes, you had Marketplace insurance. On the next screen, enter your 1095-A. Then, you are done.

For 2019 returns

Recommended Answer

Are you asking how to enter a 1095-A while you are preparing a return?   If so, here are two ways to do it.  Choose which method you like.

• With your return open, click at the top on the SEARCH tab.
  • A Search box should open.  In the search line enter 1095-A without quotes.   Ignore any dropdown results and instead click the blue magnifying glass icon on that same line.
  • You should then see a Jump to 1095-A link.  Click that.

Or here's an alternate way to get to the Form 1095-A interview:

• With your return open, go to the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose the TOPIC SEARCH button.
  • A search window will open.  In the search line enter 1095-A without quotes.
  • Select (highlight) 1095-A in the results list and click GO.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies