turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bushize
Returning Member

I was a resident alien until Sep 2023, my work visa expired in Sep 2023. Now I work in Canada, do I need to report my CA income (Oct 2023 -Dec 2023) on US tax return?

I'd lived in US a few years before my visa expired in Sep 2023. I'm neither US citizen nor PR. I moved to Canada in Aug before visa expired on work permit. I'm wondering if I should report my Canadian income (10/2023-12/2023) on the US tax return.
Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I was a resident alien until Sep 2023, my work visa expired in Sep 2023. Now I work in Canada, do I need to report my CA income (Oct 2023 -Dec 2023) on US tax return?

The best method of filing your return is to file as a dual-status alien since were not a resident alien on the last day of the tax year.

First prepare a 1040 resident return for the time you spent in the US. once the return is prepared, print it and write Dual Status across the top of the return. 

Now prepare a 1040 NR return. Turbo Tax does not prepare these returns but our affiliate at Sprint Tax does. click on the link to prepare your return. Once prepared, print this return and write Dual Status across the top of the return. if you have no US based income to report, you do not need to file a California return from (Oct 2023 -Dec 2023).

Once the returns are prepared, printed, and have the dual status notation recorded on the returns, you will mail the returns in accordance with the mailing instructions that will be printed with the returns.  Be sure when you file, do not file these returns electronically because there is no procedure in the program to record the dual status notation in the return without printing it and writing it in by hand.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies