Solved: I was a J1 visa holder for tax year 2018 and I am considered a US resident for tax purposes. (according to Sprintax) Can I use TurboTax to file my tax in this case?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ml9612

I was a J1 visa holder for tax year 2018 and I am considered a US resident for tax purposes. (according to Sprintax) Can I use TurboTax to file my tax in this case?

I was a J1 Summer Work and Travel Participant back in March-May 2016 and a J1 Intern Aug 2017- Aug 2018. Sprintax cannot process my tax because my number of stays in the US says I am considered a US citizen for tax purposes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I was a J1 visa holder for tax year 2018 and I am considered a US resident for tax purposes. (according to Sprintax) Can I use TurboTax to file my tax in this case?

Yes, you can use TurboTax to file. You are considered a resident. 

As a J-1 visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for two years from the first year you enter the US.  In your case, you are a nonresident 2016-2017. Starting from January 1st in 2018, since you stay more than 183 days within the US while on the J-visa ( January-August), you are considered as a resident for tax purposes. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can use TurboTax to file. You are considered a resident. 

As a J-1 visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for two years from the first year you enter the US.  In your case, you are a nonresident 2016-2017. Starting from January 1st in 2018, since you stay more than 183 days within the US while on the J-visa ( January-August), you are considered as a resident for tax purposes. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings