Solved: I was a J1 visa holder for tax year 2018 and I am considered a US resident for tax purposes. (according to Sprintax) Can I use TurboTax to file my tax in this case?

ml9612

I was a J1 visa holder for tax year 2018 and I am considered a US resident for tax purposes. (according to Sprintax) Can I use TurboTax to file my tax in this case?

I was a J1 Summer Work and Travel Participant back in March-May 2016 and a J1 Intern Aug 2017- Aug 2018. Sprintax cannot process my tax because my number of stays in the US says I am considered a US citizen for tax purposes.

LinaJ2018

Yes, you can use TurboTax to file. You are considered a resident. 

As a J-1 visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for two years from the first year you enter the US.  In your case, you are a nonresident 2016-2017. Starting from January 1st in 2018, since you stay more than 183 days within the US while on the J-visa ( January-August), you are considered as a resident for tax purposes. 

LinaJ2018