Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a full time student in 2016 and worked full time. I made over $30,000. Can my father still claim me on his taxes or do I file as an independent single?

I am 20 years old and I go to school in Missouri while he lives in Alabama. My mother also lives in Missouri so my permanent address is in Missouri for school mailing purposes. Is it still allowed to be claimed on his taxes? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was a full time student in 2016 and worked full time. I made over $30,000. Can my father still claim me on his taxes or do I file as an independent single?

Yes if your father provides over half of your support, which may be difficult with you making $30K a year. 

If your father does not provide over half of your support, then you claim yourself.  The 1098T goes on the return for whoever gets to claim you.  

She must be younger than 19, or 24 if she's a full-time student, and she must live with you for more than half the year. There's no limit to how much she can earn and still qualify as your dependent, as long as she meets these other criteria. What she does with her income matters a great deal, however.

Note: while at school full time you are considered to be living at home for tax purposes. 

Support Test

Your qualifying child cannot use her income to pay for more than half her own support

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes if your father provides over half of your support, which may be difficult with you making $30K a year. 

If your father does not provide over half of your support, then you claim yourself.  The 1098T goes on the return for whoever gets to claim you.  

She must be younger than 19, or 24 if she's a full-time student, and she must live with you for more than half the year. There's no limit to how much she can earn and still qualify as your dependent, as long as she meets these other criteria. What she does with her income matters a great deal, however.

Note: while at school full time you are considered to be living at home for tax purposes. 

Support Test

Your qualifying child cannot use her income to pay for more than half her own support

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies