Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I wanted to file an extension and pulled up Form 4868. How do I file the extension using my registered TurboTax program.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I wanted to file an extension and pulled up Form 4868. How do I file the extension using my registered TurboTax program.

You can file an extension online using TurboTax Easy Extension found here.

Log in using your account information and proceed through the prompts.  Please be aware extending your return only extends the filing due date of your actual return.  Any tax due should be made by the April 15th filing due date to avoid any late filing penalties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will this link allow users to efile the extension? When I tried this link several days ago I kept getting instructions that I needed to PRINT and MAIL my extension.

Also, Why CAN'T we efile from TurboTax on our desktop computers (where all my info is, because I already started on my taxes)? 

I also had this same question.  I ended up having to go to the online version where none of my information was and complete the 4868.  I did get it done but was aggravated by this.

I know. Exactly.  "If form 4868 = true, then efile=free" is NOT complicated code. 

TurboTax doesn't HAVE to be that badly designed. I have a feeling that the people within Intuit making these decisions are living in their own little world  (not uncommon in IT), but because TurboTax was so early to the market they have been able to get away with a lot of poor  business decisions and still make money.

IBM suffered a lot of the same  problems until they had a rather significant purge of the old guard; by the early 2000s there were mid-level management types who couldn't manipulate the basic attributes of Power Point long after drug sales reps were making it sing, dance, and play videos. I think Intuit has the same structural problem, demonstrated by the fact that they are SO unresponsive to the basic needs of their customers.

E-filing; it's a thing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies