Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to know if I need to file my refunds checks that I received in college during 2023 within my taxes. So, how do I get a W2 or worker number to report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

I want to know if I need to file my refunds checks that I received in college during 2023 within my taxes. So, how do I get a W2 or worker number to report it?

Are you referring to refund checks that your college gave you because your scholarship was more than your tuition? Or, did you have a student loan and the balance was returned to you?  Please clarify.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m referring to refund checks that my college gave you because my scholarship was more than your tuition. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

A scholarship greater than tuition should have been used on living expenses and should be marked in box 5 of your 1098-T. Any amount larger than room and board plus tuition, books, etc would be taxable income to you. As you go through the program entering your 109-T, it will ask about other scholarships received, you can enter amounts not listed in box 5 there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies