Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student1
Returning Member

I've requested a Roth IRA excess contribution removal for contributions made for the 2020 and 2021 tax years

Hello,

@dmertz @DanaB27 ?  (or anyone who doesn't mind reading and responding to the full inquiry below).  Thank you!

I'd like to know how I should report this on Turbo Tax if I do not have a 1099-R and do not know the TIN of my retirement brokerage (Vanguard).  (Assume I will not get the 1099-R on time if at all and I do not wish to amend, but I do know the exact amount of the original contribution and the interest earned for both the 2020 and 2021 contributions).   

The original question was

I opened a Roth IRA account in Jan 2021 (this year) and made contributions for 2020 and 2021.  I discovered this month- Feb 2021- that the entire amount of both the 2020 and 2021 contributions was over the limit.  In other words, I should not have contributed anything in either 2020 or 2021.  I have not yet filed my 2020 taxes.  I have earned interest on both the 2020 and 2021 contributions.  I have not received a 1099-R and I'm not sure I will (I have requested one but have not heard back).  Could someone let me know step by step what I need to do on turbo tax?  Let's assume I do not receive the necessary 1099-R and will need to complete a substitute 1099-R.  

Thanks again!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I've requested a Roth IRA excess contribution removal for contributions made for the 2020 and 2021 tax years

Answered here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-to-report-excess-contribution-withdrawn-by-du...

Plase keep your question in one thread./

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies