Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’ve recently moved out of my parents for the first time, and was wondering what I needed to change on my w-4’s? And how should I file this year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I’ve recently moved out of my parents for the first time, and was wondering what I needed to change on my w-4’s? And how should I file this year?

You can use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator to figure out what to put on your W-4 form.

IRS Tax Withholding Estimator

If you do not have any children you will file as single.

It's possible that your parents could still claim you as a dependent this year. You haven't given enough information to determine that. You can use the questionnaire at the following link on the IRS web site to determine whether they can claim you. It's meant to be used by your parents to see if they can claim you, so you have to answer the questions from your parents' point of view.

Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you have Single and zero or one allowance on the W4 then you are fine just the way you are ... change nothing. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator to figure out what to put on your W-4 form.

IRS Tax Withholding Estimator

If you do not have any children you will file as single.

It's possible that your parents could still claim you as a dependent this year. You haven't given enough information to determine that. You can use the questionnaire at the following link on the IRS web site to determine whether they can claim you. It's meant to be used by your parents to see if they can claim you, so you have to answer the questions from your parents' point of view.

Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?

My parents haven’t claimed me for the past couple years. I usually file as single. I was gonna pay someone to do my taxes this coming year but I wasn’t sure if I needed to change my address and such on my forms at work because I’ll be filling head of household now. Unless that’s not how it works. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do you have a child who lives with you? If not, you cannot file as head of household. The questions in TurboTax will lead you to the correct filing status.

It doesn't matter whether your parents claim you as a dependent or not. What matters is whether they CAN claim you, even if they don't. Read the questions in TurboTax very carefully.

The address on the forms at work doesn't affect your tax return. But you should make sure your employer has your current mailing address so that you will get anything they send you, especially your W-2. Also put your current mailing address on your tax return when you file it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies