Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've filed jointly. Is there a way to figure out how much of our refund is mine and how much my wifes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

I've filed jointly. Is there a way to figure out how much of our refund is mine and how much my wifes?

You would have to enter each of your income, each of your itemized deductions, and each of your withholdings to figure that out. This is a public forum, nobody sees your return.
Ex say you made $100k, your spouse make $150k
You had taxes withheld of $30k, she had $50k.

You can assume itemized or std. deduction is 50/50 or adjust.

take spouse 1 income adjusted for their portions of deductions/ TOTAL AGI to figure their percentage of the taxes owed, and do that for the spouse. that is each spouses liability.

Then take what was withheld spouse 1 less spouse 1 liability to figure their refund, do the same for spouse 2
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no individual refund amount on a joint tax return. Everything is combined and there is only one refund calculation. The refund belongs to both of you jointly. The calculation of the refund is based on your total combined income, the amount of tax that the two of you together have to pay on that combined income, and the total combined amount of tax that you paid through withholding or estimated tax payments. It is not calculated separately for each person.

Why are you trying to figure out individual refund amounts? If you are trying to divide the refund between you, you can split it in any way that seems fair to the two of you.

There may be no precise way if you had items like long-term capital gains, qualified dividends, REIT dividends that qualify for the 199A deduction. and certain other items that can skew the taxes so they're not in proportion to either adjusted gross income or taxable income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies