turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used my vehicle to run my business last year. How/where do I input these expenses?

I spent a lot of money in maintenance and repairs but not sure where to put them
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
oaguilar

I used my vehicle to run my business last year. How/where do I input these expenses?

Car/truck expenses go in Schedule C, Part II, where you will find a button for the Car/Truck Expenses Worksheet. Fill in your expenses and your work miles traveled and the form will automatically calculate the amount of both types of deductions and you can then choose the highest one.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Expenses for maintaining your vehicle used for work will be entered in the Vehicle Expense section of your Schedule C.  

If you used the standard mileage method for calculating your vehicle expense in the first year you used the vehicle for work, then you can choose to change to the actual expense method this year if it is more beneficial.  After all expenses have been entered along with your mileage information, TurboTax will show you the results so you can choose the best option.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax article to learn more about the two options:

Standard Mileage vs. Actual Expenses: Getting the Biggest Tax Deduction

@rufusjr99-gmail-

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies