Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I transitioned from a non-resident to a resident alien status in 2019. Would someone please help me figure out how to submit a 1042-S form (Code 16) using TurboTax?

I am reposting this because, for some reason, I never got a notification via e-mail for a response and failed to reply to one of the questions from the expert that was helping me last time. I apologize for that.
Some details that I have been asked:
1. I am probably filing a 1040 form instead of a 1040-NR since I was a resident at the end of the year.
2. I haven't paid tuition out of my pocket.
3. The school hasn't issued a 1098-T form.
4. The 1042-S form represents taxable (stipend) dollars.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I transitioned from a non-resident to a resident alien status in 2019. Would someone please help me figure out how to submit a 1042-S form (Code 16) using TurboTax?

@derick_baum , it would safer to answer if I knew when you entered USA with F-1 or are you on J visa ?  Also which country are you from ?

Generally it would be easier  if you had a 1098-T from the schools  because otherwise  you essentially have to create 1098 entries from the 1042-S ( code 16 implying this is stipend/scholarship ).  So please answer my questions and I will comeback.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I entered the USA with an F-1 visa, and I'm from Brazil. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a 1098-T emitted from my school. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@derick_baum , since you entered the USA with F-1, you are generally  exempt from counting days present for  five calendar years  from the date of admission.  Therefore the question as to when were you admitted.  

For example, if you were admitted in  August/Sep. of  2014, then  , unless your status was adjusted  ( non-F-1 ) then you are exempt  till the end of  Calendar year 2018.  For this example  you would counting days  from Jan 1st. of 2019 and you would be a resident alien for tax purposes around the middle of the year.  In this case you are Non-Resident Alien till the day you pass the substantial presence test  ( and taxed  ONLY on US income, file a return on form 1040-NR- or 1040-NR/EZ ) and thereafter  you are Resident Alien for tax purposes  ( taxed on your world income and file a return on form 1040 ).

Note that TurboTax does not support preparation of NRA or Dual Status  ( i.e.  portion of year as NRA and the rest of the year as Resident )

If this example typifies your case then  you should   use the services of  SprinTax ( TurboTax partner ) or  tax professional  familiar with international filing OR consult your school foreign student office  -- they  usually do know how to deal with this.

Is there more I can do for you?

Ate logo

Thank you for your helpful response.

I entered the USA in 2013. Sprintax won't let me use the software - after I type in the days spent in this country, it tells me a resident for tax purposes. But since TurboTax does not support the preparation of Dual-Status tax returns, should I just consult the international office and figure out an alternative? 

Thank you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies