Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I think I filed my 2022 taxes wrong because I didn't get a return

Hi, I was a J1 during Dec 2022 and Mar 2023. I filed for my 2022 tax return but I didn't get any money nor any documents. It was for like 20 dollars so I'm not going to make a big deal for the money, but the thing is that now I'm trying to file for my 2023 taxes and apparently I need a number that's on my tax return of 2022. I'm trying to get a copy of the tax return with the IRS and hopefully that will solve the problem, but I'm worried that I'm going to get in any kind of trouble if they say that I didn't file my 2022 taxes. I can't enter my old TurboTax account because is asking me for a US phone number for verification and I don't have it anymore, so I can't check if there was a problem. 

Can someone help me please? I'm really worried

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You shouldn't worry about getting in trouble if you had a refund when you filed your tax return. The IRS probably has a record of your income and tax withheld so if they thought you owed taxes they may contact you at some point in time, but since you have a refund there would be no taxes due or penalty for not filing a tax return. You can use this link to get a transcript of your tax return from the IRS: Get IRS transcript . If you find you didn't file your return, you can contact the help desk at Intuit and they may be able to help you gain access to your account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You shouldn't worry about getting in trouble if you had a refund when you filed your tax return. The IRS probably has a record of your income and tax withheld so if they thought you owed taxes they may contact you at some point in time, but since you have a refund there would be no taxes due or penalty for not filing a tax return. You can use this link to get a transcript of your tax return from the IRS: Get IRS transcript . If you find you didn't file your return, you can contact the help desk at Intuit and they may be able to help you gain access to your account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies