Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started my taxes for Iowa about 3 weeks ago and getting ready to file and now I owe more. what changed that my tax liability increased since last month?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I started my taxes for Iowa about 3 weeks ago and getting ready to file and now I owe more. what changed that my tax liability increased since last month?

It could be that some form were not ready in TurboTax when you started your return 3 months ago. 

The refund or amount due will continue to change until you enter all your forms and information and complete the final review. TurboTax will recalculate your refund/ amount due every time you add more information to your tax return.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I actually found a glitch in the system and it seems to be a software error.  On my Iowa Return, it is doubling my Federal Return as income on my net Iowa Modifications.  I should only have $2024 on that line item and it is entering on the tax form as $4048.  Who can take care of this error?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Only you can fix errors on your return.  We do not have access to your return and cannot see your return.  If you are able to explain the error in more details, we may be able to assist you.

However, most state errors are corrected on the Federal return because Federal information is what populates most of the state return.  The first step is to return to the section in the Federal return that is generating that information to ensure that it is accurate and make corrections if necessary.

@tsiegert1313 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed with the correct information and the Iowa return was rejected.  TT states I must wait a week for a "product update" to file again.  Seems like it IS a system error.

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue that should be resolved with the March 29th update. Once the update happens, please follow the steps below depending on the version of TurboTax you are using:

• If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.
    • You can also try using a different browser
  • If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.
    • Make sure you have ran all the updates

@tsiegert1313 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies