wjones146

I started a return using my name rather than my deceased husband's. He died this year (2018). How do I correct error and change back to joint?

I never should have changed the name to mine, but should have kept the account and return in his name and mine. Now as I proceed TT shows my name twice. How can I correct that?

For this year, you can (and should) still file as married filing jointly.  You should not change the order of the names on your tax return.  The easiest way to do this is to go to your account tools and select "clear and start over"; this will restore your file to its original state.

For next year, you will need to make a new account; you can't change the name on your existing account.  To make the transition easier, you will want to download or print a PDF copy of "all forms and worksheets" from your 2018 return after you have filed.

Go back to the  MY INFO tab and edit the taxpayer listed to put him back.   Next year you must start a new account .... as you can see changing positions will not work.
wjones146

I should have said this was online. He is still on the account level, but can't correct on the return. I see no "my info" for the return in the online version.
wjones146

I believe I may have figured it out. Thanks for the help.
Carl

There is a place in one of the selections on the left where you can select "clear and start over". That will wipe the 2018 return clean and you can start over with the import process. Take note that you can, and you do file MFJ, regardless of when your husband passed in 2018. You get his standard deduction for the entire tax year.