turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

"I started a job some time ago, than the boss 1099'ed me. She told me to start a business which I did, but she's pays me by my personal name not my business name.

I agree with Critter.  If you have been filing your tax return "as your own business", the only only thing that MIGHT happen is that the IRS changes you to an Employee, which means you would pay LESS tax than 'being in business'.

"I started a job some time ago, than the boss 1099'ed me. She told me to start a business which I did, but she's pays me by my personal name not my business name.

No I didn't because, my 1099 kept only arriving with my person name and SS# on it. So that's how I kept filing.

My personal name. sorry

If you filed the 1099 as Self Employment income (Box 7 of the 1099-MISC, and filed on Schedule C of your tax return), it does NOT matter if it is under your Business name or your personal name.  For tax purposes, it is the same thing.

So DON'T worry about if it was in the "business" name or your "personal" name.  It does NOT matter.

My boss has never paid me using the EIN. An accountant set my business up for me as a sole proprietor.

I'm currently looking for another job.

Wise choice ... however you could amend the prior year returns to report that employer and get them to pay 1/2 of your SE taxes ... but I would use a paid professional so it is done correctly.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies