turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold stock under an ESPP and I received a supplemental cost basis on my 1099-B for income that was already reported on my W2. How do I change the reason code in F to O

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I sold stock under an ESPP and I received a supplemental cost basis on my 1099-B for income that was already reported on my W2. How do I change the reason code in F to O

I believe the default code entered by TurboTax for corrections to basis - I assume you used the ESPP "guided" interview here - and the explanation for that code is 'You received a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement) and the basis shown in box 1e is incorrect..." and that's exactly right for your situation.  There's no code for "this was ESPP stock and the broker is only showing my out of pocket cost and not including the compensation created by the sale."  In any case, reporting your income correctly is really your only absolute obligation here, as a citizen.  The IRS just can't hassle you and won't hassle you over "style" issues, which is what these codes amount to.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The default code is Code O.   And as stated above, this is the correct code for your situation.   You can view Form 8949 to see the adjustment code for column(f) for the adjustment amount made in column(g).  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies