turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arch7girl

I sent my federal tax forms to the state franchise tax board. The IRS now thinks I did not file. I am expecting a refund. Can TurboTax help show that I did file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I sent my federal tax forms to the state franchise tax board. The IRS now thinks I did not file. I am expecting a refund. Can TurboTax help show that I did file?

If you chose to file by mail, and if you did not send your Federal return to the IRS, then at least in the eyes of the IRS, you did not file a return with the IRS if they never received one, and you have no proof showing it was postmarked and mailed to the IRS.

If you are sure you are due a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late Federal return.

Did you get an IRS letter?   What does it ask you to do?    I presume they want you to file the return, but are there any special instructions in the letter in so far as submitting it?   If you need help in responding to the IRS letter, we can tell you how to phone for help at the TurboTax free Audit Support Center.

To get the phone number go to the page at the link, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

1) "I sent my federal tax forms to the state franchise tax board." = Same as if you threw them in the trash; You did Not file with IRS by mailing to State.

2) " Can TurboTax help show that I did file?" No, because you Didn't file with IRS if your 1040 was mailed to State. In any case, only You can prove what/when you filed by mail. No receipt, no event.

3) Since you did Not file with IRS, you can do so Now, either by e-file or printing/mailing. You have until 15 October to e-file, until 2021 to mail a return for refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies