• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saraprice76

I received commission but taxes were never paid from the commission. How do I file this

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I received commission but taxes were never paid from the commission. How do I file this

If you are sure, it's not already in box 1 of your W-2, the easiest way to enter it is at the 1099-Misc screen, even though you didn't actually get a 1099. In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

-         “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, enter "Commission"

On the next screen where it asks "Do one of these uncommon situations apply", select "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-Misc but it should have been reported on a W-2. TT will prepare form 8919 for you to pay your share of FICA.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SweetieJean
Level 15

How was it reported to you? W-2? 1099-MISC?
saraprice76

I was given checks from my employer
SweetieJean
Level 15

So they didn't give you any forms at all?  Normally, an employer must report this on W-2.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Are you sure the amounts are not included in box 1 of your W-2?
If they were, you don't do anything special. Just complete your return. The tax will be include in the bottom line
saraprice76

No it's not included in my hourly pay.  It doesn't add up.
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you are sure, it's not already in box 1 of your W-2, the easiest way to enter it is at the 1099-Misc screen, even though you didn't actually get a 1099. In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

-         “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, enter "Commission"

On the next screen where it asks "Do one of these uncommon situations apply", select "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-Misc but it should have been reported on a W-2. TT will prepare form 8919 for you to pay your share of FICA.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v