Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

areli-e

I received an electronic 1099MISC IRS Tax Form. but I'm not sure what it means or what I'm supposed to do with it. The only box that has anything in it is box 7.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I received an electronic 1099MISC IRS Tax Form. but I'm not sure what it means or what I'm supposed to do with it. The only box that has anything in it is box 7.

BOX 7 of the 1099-MISC is Nonemployee Compensation.  This means you got some money from someone you did work for.

Look at the top left corner of the FORM and it will tell you the PAYER's name and address.  This is considered income and must be posted to your tax return.

To post this go to:

1. INCOME
  2. Other Common Income
  3. Income from a 1099-MISC
  4. Enter the information
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
h2oman
Returning Member

The 1099 MISC received has amounts in Box 7. The TurboTax form (desktop Deluxe) for entering information in Box 7 does not appear in the 1099 MISC form.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The Form 1099-MISC has been changed for 2020 and it seems you may have a form that is outdated.  However this can be filed easily by using the Form 1099-NEC entry which is the replacement form for Box 7, Form 1099-MISC.

When you are signed into your TurboTax account follow the steps below.

1. Select Wages & Income > Self-employment Income > Review
  2. Select the business where you want to enter your 1099-NEC
  3. Skip import > Select Form 1099-NEC, new IRS form for nonemployee compensation (replaces 1099-MISC) > Continue
  4. Enter your data from the 1099-NEC (Box 1 is where you will enter your Box 7 amount)

NOTE:  You can also choose to enter this as a cash payment of business income by selecting Other self-employed income, includes 1099-K, cash, and checks (if you choose this, delete the 1099-NEC).  Currently, there is a known issue where the spouse is not connected with the form should this be applicable to your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies