Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a work training scholarship and now the organization who granted the scholarship (outside my employer) is asking for a W9 form. Does that mean I will be taxed?

Is it income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received a work training scholarship and now the organization who granted the scholarship (outside my employer) is asking for a W9 form. Does that mean I will be taxed?

That’s likely. Ask the organization. 

@pinkwhales_water - scholarships are taxable income to you but it can be reduced dollar for dollar by qualified educational expenses (QEE). 

whether you 'are taxed' on this money depends on how much income you make for the year and how much QEE you have.  if your income is less than $14,050 in 2024, there will be no federal tax. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. The organization who granted the scholarship is asking for a W-9 form. Does that mean I will be taxed?

A. Probably. The fact that they are asking for your Social Security number (SS#) probably means they will be issuing you an information tax form (e.g.1099-MISC), with a copy to the IRS, to report the amount paid to you.

Whether it is taxable will depend on more information. But the fact that an IRS form is issued means it probably is taxable. 

Scholarships that pay for qualified educational expenses (QEE), such as tuition, fees, and course materials, at an "eligible institution" are usually tax free. 

Then there's the question of whether the money really is a scholarship, as opposed to employer assistance or additional compensation for work.  What does "work training scholarship" mean and who/what is this "organization"?  Was the money paid to you  to the school?

The good news is: if the "scholarship" is not tax free, then you can claim the QEE, paid with that money, for the tuition credit (if you attended an eligible institution). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies