Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

User70
Returning Member

I received a K1 form for the sale of inherited property but I haven't received funds. Why do I owe capital gains if sale proceeds still in estate?

I received a K1 form for the sale of inherited property but I haven't received funds. Why do I owe capital gains if sale proceeds are still in the estate? The executor has not distributed to heirs. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received a K1 form for the sale of inherited property but I haven't received funds. Why do I owe capital gains if sale proceeds still in estate?

these are questions for the executor.  

User70
Returning Member

Yes it is but the executor is not that reliable… I just wanted feedback from what others may know about this. Just seems odd to pay for capital gain taxes without any distribution of it to the heirs. 

I concur with Mike, but the IRS will receive a copy of the K-1 and there will be a mismatch if you do not report it.

Contact the executor for further information about the distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies