User70

I received a K1 form for the sale of inherited property but I haven't received funds. Why do I owe capital gains if sale proceeds still in estate?

I received a K1 form for the sale of inherited property but I haven't received funds. Why do I owe capital gains if sale proceeds are still in the estate? The executor has not distributed to heirs. 

these are questions for the executor.  

User70

Yes it is but the executor is not that reliable… I just wanted feedback from what others may know about this. Just seems odd to pay for capital gain taxes without any distribution of it to the heirs. 

I concur with Mike, but the IRS will receive a copy of the K-1 and there will be a mismatch if you do not report it.

Contact the executor for further information about the distribution.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing