Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdsherr

I received a K-1 with US Gov't Interest included on Line 5, which I have entered. It also lists "Cost to carry US Gov't Obligations". Where/how do I enter these costs?

After exhaustive web searches I cannot tell if these carrying costs are deductible. And if so, how I enter them in Turbotax. Note that I am using the Mac desktop version.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received a K-1 with US Gov't Interest included on Line 5, which I have entered. It also lists "Cost to carry US Gov't Obligations". Where/how do I enter these costs?

if by carrying costs you mean margin interest or account fees then margin interest would be reported of form 4952 (itemized deduction) while account fees for 2018-2025 are not deductible except for some state income tax purposes. if by carrying costs you mean something else please describe them and how they are determined. 

bdsherr

I, unfortunately, provided all of the information from line 5 of the K-1. So, I can't say for certain what is meant or how it was calculated. Based on how things are referenced in other entries on this K-1 and other K-1s from the same source, I believe it is referring to margin interest. Note that there are amounts reported for investment interest expense (line 13, code H) and deductions, portfolio income (line 13, code AE).  Neither of these amounts have additional detail that would reconcile to the amount reference in my original question for line 5.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies