Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a K-1 from my mother's Trust - What do I enter on my return

First - I'm not even sure what is the correct question to ask here.

I may need to change the Subject so that the right experts can answer.  Please suggest a better Subject is necessary.

I am one of 4 beneficiaries of my mother's Trust. After 4 years we finally received the distribution and then, after the taxes were paid, we received the final distribution of what was left. I received a K-1 as well as other forms.  What do I enter on my taxes and, since there was negative Taxable Income (see below) can I take any deductions on my personal return?

The K1 is labeled “2023 Schedule OR-K-1”. In Part 1 the PTE Name is my mother's trust. In Part II - Owner Information is me. The only amounts listed are on lines 16 U.S. Government Interest $479 and line 18 Other Subtractions $-3638. Can I take this as a deduction on my taxes?  If so where. The 1041 for my mother's trust has line 23 Taxable income -$12.485 (loss). If the loss is distributed among the 4 beneficiaries should I see $3121.25 ($12,485/4) someplace?? I can’t find that.

There are many other forms: Capital Gains Losses, Schedule K-1 Part I is my mother, Part II is me Part III box 11D Final Year Deductions = $5973, E= $2371, F= $3468. The Capitol Loss Carryover Worksheet line 14 Long Term Capital Loss carryover to 2024 = $23,891 I do see this amount divided by the 4 beneficiaries and the amount, $5973 entered on  K-1 Part III line 11D as shown above.  Question: Will I be able to carry over any of this capital loss to 2024?  And what do I enter on my 2023 return?  Thank you this is Very complex!!

Again, should I change the Subject to get the correct experts to see this?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

what version are you using? all dektop versions can handle a trust k-1 in the busins section. for onlinre you start with bsic and once you get to the business section to enter k-1 you are upgraded to prmeier which is no longer free. 

View solution in original post

I do have Premier. I entered the values per TurboTax and reduced my taxes by $1325!!! Thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies

what version are you using? all dektop versions can handle a trust k-1 in the busins section. for onlinre you start with bsic and once you get to the business section to enter k-1 you are upgraded to prmeier which is no longer free. 

I do have Premier. I entered the values per TurboTax and reduced my taxes by $1325!!! Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies