Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmduprey

I RECEIVED A 1099K IN ERROR FROM PAYPAL - THEY WONT CORRECT IT BECAUSE FAMILY CHECKED WRONG BOX WHEN THEY SENT ME MONEY , WHAT DO I DO IN TURBOTAX TO REPORT CORRECTLY

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I RECEIVED A 1099K IN ERROR FROM PAYPAL - THEY WONT CORRECT IT BECAUSE FAMILY CHECKED WRONG BOX WHEN THEY SENT ME MONEY , WHAT DO I DO IN TURBOTAX TO REPORT CORRECTLY

Report the IRS 1099-K income, then reverse out the income.  Follow these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Click Show more to the right of Other Common Income.
  • Under Your income and expenses, click the Edit/Add button to the right of Form 1099-K.
  • At the screen Did you get a 1099-K? click Yes.
  • At the screen How would you like to enter your 1099-K? click Type it in myself.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Choose which type of income your 1099-K is for, select the button for Other income.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Let’s get the info from your 1099-K, enter the information.      Click Continue.
  • At the screen Your Other 1099-K income, you enter further information for the Other income.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Your 1099-K summary, notice that the income relates to Other income.  Click Done.

Other income may need to be reversed if some or all the income reported on the 1099-K is not accurate.  Post the negative entry as follows:

• Click Show more to the right of Less Common Income.
  • To the right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C, click the Start / Revisit button.
  • To the right of Other reportable income, click the Start / Revisit button.
  • At the screen Other Taxable Income, enter a description such as “Incorrect form 1099-K [amount]” and a negative amount. 

The entry will be reported:

• on line 8z of Schedule 1 of the Federal 1040 tax return, and 
  • on line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

Make sure that you keep records of all transactions. Later, you may need to demonstrate to the IRS that this is not taxable income.

@lmduprey 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Report the IRS 1099-K income, then reverse out the income.  Follow these directions.

• Click Show more to the right of Other Common Income.
  • Under Your income and expenses, click the Edit/Add button to the right of Form 1099-K.
  • At the screen Did you get a 1099-K? click Yes.
  • At the screen How would you like to enter your 1099-K? click Type it in myself.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Choose which type of income your 1099-K is for, select the button for Other income.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Let’s get the info from your 1099-K, enter the information.      Click Continue.
  • At the screen Your Other 1099-K income, you enter further information for the Other income.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Your 1099-K summary, notice that the income relates to Other income.  Click Done.

Other income may need to be reversed if some or all the income reported on the 1099-K is not accurate.  Post the negative entry as follows:

• Click Show more to the right of Less Common Income.
  • To the right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C, click the Start / Revisit button.
  • To the right of Other reportable income, click the Start / Revisit button.
  • At the screen Other Taxable Income, enter a description such as “Incorrect form 1099-K [amount]” and a negative amount. 

The entry will be reported:

• on line 8z of Schedule 1 of the Federal 1040 tax return, and 
  • on line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

Make sure that you keep records of all transactions. Later, you may need to demonstrate to the IRS that this is not taxable income.

@lmduprey 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies