Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

salberti77
Returning Member

I received a 1042-S with income code 15, Chapter 3, exemption code 02. I know this is a foreign person form, but I am a resident alien. how can I enter this information in TT?

I transferred money from my old 401(k) to my new 401(k). The old 401(k) must have had the wrong information in the system, since I have been a resident alien for 5 years now. Digging around, I have found that the money transferred shouldn't be taxable, but I still have to file a form 1099-R and prepare a substitute Form 4852. I have done so, but I have some additional questions:

1) Since no tax should be deducted, can I just put $0.00 under "taxable amount"?

2) What distribution code should I use? I assumed it would be type G, but I just want to confirm: In order to transfer the money from the two retirement plans, the first one sent me a check payable to my new 401(k) retirement plan. I received the check, and mailed it to my new 401(k). I never took actual custody of the funds, but I did receive a check to deposit. Would this still qualify as a direct transfer? If it's an indirect, what distribution code should I use?

3) Are there any other important boxes in form 1099-R I should pay attention to?

Thank you so much for your help in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies