Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive 1099-nec instead of 1099-inc from count for rental property because of the rental assistance program

My tenant applied the state rental assistance program. And the count sent me a 1099 DEC form instead of MISC. Should I fill the 1099DEC form in turbo tax or I can still put it as rental income?

If put into as rental income, how should I do it?

Thanks a lot for help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I receive 1099-nec instead of 1099-inc from count for rental property because of the rental assistance program

Select Other miscellaneous expenses by following these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Income & Expenses.
  • Scroll down to Self-employment.  Click Show more.
  • Click on Start / Revisit to the right of Self-employment income and expenses.
  • At the screen Your 2022 self-employed work summary, click Edit.
  • At the screen Here's you info, click Add expenses for this work.
  • Select Other miscellaneous expenses.

@echotoy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

There are a couple of ways you can deal with this.  You could enter the 1099-NEC as it is printed.  This will result in your creating a Schedule C, and you can then report an expense for the same amount as the 1099-NEC.  That will result in your Schedule C showing zero net income.  Then just report the amount of rent you received.  You don't have to have a 1099-MISC to report your rental income.  If you are using TurboTax Online, you will have to use the Self-Employed version in order to enter an expense on your Schedule C.   You could also just not report the 1099-NEC.  If the IRS contacts you about not reporting it, you can explain that it was misreported to you, and that the income is properly reported on your tax return as rental income. Finally, you can contact the issuer and request that they issue you a corrected Form 1099 MISC.  

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a downloaded TT version on Mac. Can I upgrade it or I have to purchase a new Self-Employed version?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You can enter the information on Schedule E and not enter Form 1099-NEC at all. If your rental is reported on Schedule E there is no need to add Schedule C or upgrade. Include the income on Form 1099-NEC as rental income. Keep the form in your records. 

As @DavidD66 said if the IRS contacts you about not reporting it, you can explain that it was misreported to you and that the income is properly reported on your tax return as rental income.

@echotoy 

If I want to offset the income in 1099-NEC in Home&Business TurboTax version, which item I should use to put the offset amount and description that I report the income as rental income? Thanks!

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Select Other miscellaneous expenses by following these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Income & Expenses.
  • Scroll down to Self-employment.  Click Show more.
  • Click on Start / Revisit to the right of Self-employment income and expenses.
  • At the screen Your 2022 self-employed work summary, click Edit.
  • At the screen Here's you info, click Add expenses for this work.
  • Select Other miscellaneous expenses.

@echotoy 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies