Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I realized my job hasn’t been taking out federal taxes a single mom and head of house will I get a refund or what do I need to do? They only rook out when made over 1000

The payroll lady said that I had to mark what I wanted withheld but I have never done that before I always marked 0 and they always took federal out anywhere else I worked. So I’m confused if they took out when I grossed over $1,000 why wouldn’t they keep doing it after
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I realized my job hasn’t been taking out federal taxes a single mom and head of house will I get a refund or what do I need to do? They only rook out when made over 1000

How did you fill out your W-4?

It depends on your income.  You can use this IRS calculator to check.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

If you qualify to file as head of household with one child, approximately the first $42,000 of your income is tax free, and the first $62,000 is tax-free if you claim 2 dependents under age 17.   So on a weekly basis, the first $807 or the first $1192 would be tax-free and you would only expect to have federal tax withheld if your income was over that amount.  (That is based on 2 children qualifying for the full $2000 child tax credit, and ignore the additional beneficial effect of the Earned Income Credit.)

Of course every situation is different and that is a rough estimate.  Check the IRS withholding calculator, it will give you an estimate of your refund or taxes owed, and will make recommendations on how to change your W-4 if you need to change it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies