Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

omari6000

I put in the wrong w2 I was looking at 2015 will the IRS reject it so I can put in the right information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I put in the wrong w2 I was looking at 2015 will the IRS reject it so I can put in the right information?

There is no way to tell until sometime after Jan 23, when the IRS opens efiling.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

There is no way to tell until sometime after Jan 23, when the IRS opens efiling.

omari6000

Thank you and that is what I thought, because they will look at the numbers and see that they are wrong and reject it I am thinking. I am also sure that I am not the first one to ever have done this before.

The IRS may still accept the return for processing if everything is in good form.   They do not examine the numbers initially so they won't know if they are right or wrong.   They won't necessarily know any numbers are wrong until they start matching returns to employer (W-2) and institution forms (1099s, etc.)    "Accepting" just means that the return meets all the official IRS guidelines to begin processing--not that the figures shown on the return are being accepted.

If they do accept it, the only thing you can do is to prepare an amended return, Form 1040X.   So in this case, it's best to hope that it is rejected for some reason.

In the meantime, do not make any changes in your return.  If you do have to prepare an amended return Form 1040X, the return has to start off exactly as it was originally filed.
omari6000

Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies