omari6000

I put in the wrong w2 I was looking at 2015 will the IRS reject it so I can put in the right information?

There is no way to tell until sometime after Jan 23, when the IRS opens efiling.

omari6000

Thank you and that is what I thought, because they will look at the numbers and see that they are wrong and reject it I am thinking. I am also sure that I am not the first one to ever have done this before.
mesquitebean

The IRS may still accept the return for processing if everything is in good form.   They do not examine the numbers initially so they won't know if they are right or wrong.   They won't necessarily know any numbers are wrong until they start matching returns to employer (W-2) and institution forms (1099s, etc.)    "Accepting" just means that the return meets all the official IRS guidelines to begin processing--not that the figures shown on the return are being accepted.

If they do accept it, the only thing you can do is to prepare an amended return, Form 1040X.   So in this case, it's best to hope that it is rejected for some reason.
mesquitebean

In the meantime, do not make any changes in your return.  If you do have to prepare an amended return Form 1040X, the return has to start off exactly as it was originally filed.
omari6000

Thank you.