Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased TuboxTax Premier 2017 from Tax Pros. What is the hash value for the downloaded file, or how can I be assured that the file is authentic?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I purchased TuboxTax Premier 2017 from Tax Pros. What is the hash value for the downloaded file, or how can I be assured that the file is authentic?

They are not an authorized retailer.

For various reasons, that information will not be provided.  Others have asked, and I have never seen it answered.

It's a Buyer Beware situation.  (Plus, why would TT want to help an unauthorized reseller pick their pockets.)

If you are concerned, get a refund and buy from a legit reseller.

I think that there are about 10 different versions of TurboTax between Windows and Mac and there have been probably 10 or more updates to each and more updated to come.  Every one  would have a different hash.  A good hacker can add malware and make the hash anything that they want.  Hash is no guarantee that it does not contain malware.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Well, matching a hash is pretty hard, you have to brute force it and it takes a long time.

But aside from the issue of helping crooks, it is definitely a problem that every release of every program version will have a different hash (we're on R14 so that's about 140 hash values someone would have to track for you.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies