Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dballog

I owned stock in a company that entered into Chapter 11. It was approved by the court and the stock is worthless. How do I handle and can I spread over previous years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I owned stock in a company that entered into Chapter 11. It was approved by the court and the stock is worthless. How do I handle and can I spread over previous years?

You report your loss in the year it became officially worthless.

Using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview you'll tell TT that no 1099-B was received.  You'll enter a "date of sale" of 12/31/2016 and "proceeds" of $0.  You'll tick "worthless security" on the "Do any special situations apply to this sale?" page.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You report your loss in the year it became officially worthless.

Using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview you'll tell TT that no 1099-B was received.  You'll enter a "date of sale" of 12/31/2016 and "proceeds" of $0.  You'll tick "worthless security" on the "Do any special situations apply to this sale?" page.

Tom Young

dballog

Thanks for the response. Can this loss be spread over previous years?

No.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies