Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own my own business but I have an account that pays me and I get paid W-2 so do I still have to file 1099

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

I own my own business but I have an account that pays me and I get paid W-2 so do I still have to file 1099

If you receive a 1099 you would need to file it as income for your business.

The W-2 would need to be reported on your 1040 as an employee of the company that issued the W-2.

The W-2 is what an employer issues and should have accounted for federal withholding, Social Security, and Medicare. 

Any income that you receive for your business, whether by 1099, cash, check or credit card would need to be reported as self-employed on a Schedule C - Profit an Loss from Business.  If your net income is $400 or more then you would need to file a Schedule SE - Self-Employment Tax.

Both, the W-2 income and your business income and expenses would be reported on your personal 1040 income tax return.

TurboTax Live handles self-employment with all the necessary forms needed to file your business return.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanO

Are you getting a W-2 and 1099 from the same account.

No just w2

No just w2

What I’m trying to say is I own my business I have an accountant that pays me W-2 when I get ready to file my taxes do I also need to file a 1099 and self-employed expenses
DanO

Yes, you will want to file 1099 and deduct your expenses from self-employed business.

When I deduct my expense from self employed do I also add income for they business

I ask because why wages and Income is already on my w2
DanO

Does the w-2 show the accountant as an Employer with an EIN, is there anything in boxes - 1 thru 6.
DanO

Is box 13 Statutory employee checked? If so, then enter the W-2 just like a wage paid employee and TurboTax will guide you. TurboTax will ask if you have expenses, say yes and TurboTax will have a Schedule C ready when you get to expenses.
DanO

If you receive a 1099 you would need to file it as income for your business.

The W-2 would need to be reported on your 1040 as an employee of the company that issued the W-2.

The W-2 is what an employer issues and should have accounted for federal withholding, Social Security, and Medicare. 

Any income that you receive for your business, whether by 1099, cash, check or credit card would need to be reported as self-employed on a Schedule C - Profit an Loss from Business.  If your net income is $400 or more then you would need to file a Schedule SE - Self-Employment Tax.

Both, the W-2 income and your business income and expenses would be reported on your personal 1040 income tax return.

TurboTax Live handles self-employment with all the necessary forms needed to file your business return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies