Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe money on my credit card for my bank will the irs take my refund and pay my credit card off

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I owe money on my credit card for my bank will the irs take my refund and pay my credit card off

No, this is a personal debt, not a Federal debt.

More information about refund offsets can be found in the following IRS Tax Topic:  Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unemployment Compensation Debts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, this is a personal debt, not a Federal debt.

More information about refund offsets can be found in the following IRS Tax Topic:  Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unemployment Compensation Debts.

okay thank you, i also don't understand why I've only received less than half of my refund. i had 3, W 2's ... and on the app on my phone the total 2018 refund is way different then the 2 amounts shown on the menu ...
it says its all been accepted.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You would need to call the IRS 800-829-1040
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies