Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe in fed and state taxes but it says I would be getting a refund. What do I do?

I owe and it’s telling me I should expect a refund of x and x amount but I’m currently on payment plans that aren’t paid off to state and fed so I’m really not expecting a refund .. what should I do? Did I do something wrong? Please help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I owe in fed and state taxes but it says I would be getting a refund. What do I do?

Your refunds will not be paid to you .  They will be applied to what you owe.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to do anything.   Your refunds will be applied to your back taxes or debt automatically.   Keep records of the amounts so you can verify the amounts are credited to your accounts.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What is "it" that says you should expect a refund? If "it" is TurboTax, it's only telling you what's on your 2023 tax return. TurboTax does not know if you owe taxes from previous years or if you have a payment plan. It doesn't have access to that information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies