Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to refile my pass taxes from three privous years.

my wife filed marraige but sperate now i gor to do the same i need help please.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I need to refile my pass taxes from three privous years.

Why do you say "refile"? Did you already file tax returns for the previous years? If so, you can't just file a new tax return. You may have to amend the tax returns that you filed. What was the filing status on the returns that you filed? Did you file them with TurboTax? If you filed as married filing jointly, you cannot change to married filing separately.

Did you or your wife get notices or letters from the IRS about the previous years? If so, what did the notices say? You might need help from a tax professional to deal with the IRS.

What are the three previous years? It's too late to get a refund for 2019 or earlier, and it's too late to get a refund for 2020 unless you filed an extension for 2020 before April 15, 2021. But if you will owe more tax you can still amend 2020 or earlier and pay the additional tax.

Why did your wife file separately? The two of you together will almost certainly pay less tax if you file jointly. If you and your wife can cooperate on joint filing, then instead of filing your own separate returns you can amend the separate returns that she filed to joint returns and include your income in the joint returns.

You cannot use TurboTax Online to file for past years. TurboTax Online is only for the current tax year, which is now 2023. To file for earlier years you have to use the CD or download TurboTax software for each year that you need. You can purchase downloads at the following link.

Past Years' Products

You might get a better price from an authorized reseller that still has TurboTax in stock for the years that you need.

TurboTax no longer supports years earlier than 2020. The 2020 TurboTax software will only be available for a few more weeks.

Tax returns or amended returns for past years cannot be e-filed. You will have to print your past-year tax returns, sign them, and file them by mail. Make sure to mail each year in a separate envelope.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies