Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avidbyte

I need to file a 1099-MISC for a subcontractor I paid last year. I have no way to contact them. I have first-last name & last known address. What do I do?

I have no viable means of contacting this subcontractor. I only have the first and last name as well as their last known address (no idea if it's current). I know I can still file without the SSN but.. is this enough?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I need to file a 1099-MISC for a subcontractor I paid last year. I have no way to contact them. I have first-last name & last known address. What do I do?

No, that's not enough. The IRS requires proof that you attempted to get the subcontractor's information.

If you don't have the EIN or SSN for the subcontractor you are issuing the 1099-MISC to, you will be fined by the IRS so attempt to get the W-9 form from the subcontractor by completing the W-9 form and sending it certified mail with return receipt, to the last known address.

• If the requested information isn't provided in 10 days, you can issue the 1099-MISC without it, but you will not be able to e-file. 
  • You'll have to print and mail it in to the IRS along with your proof of attempt to obtain the EIN/SSN. 
  • Include a copy of the W-9 along with copies of the signed receipt confirming the recipient received or was delivered your W-9 request.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenaC

No, that's not enough. The IRS requires proof that you attempted to get the subcontractor's information.

If you don't have the EIN or SSN for the subcontractor you are issuing the 1099-MISC to, you will be fined by the IRS so attempt to get the W-9 form from the subcontractor by completing the W-9 form and sending it certified mail with return receipt, to the last known address.

• If the requested information isn't provided in 10 days, you can issue the 1099-MISC without it, but you will not be able to e-file. 
  • You'll have to print and mail it in to the IRS along with your proof of attempt to obtain the EIN/SSN. 
  • Include a copy of the W-9 along with copies of the signed receipt confirming the recipient received or was delivered your W-9 request.
avidbyte

Thank you!
HelenaC

You're very welcome and thank you for using TurboTax. We really appreciate it!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies